Pages

Wednesday 15 January 2014

Is there light at the end of the tunnel?


Well.... the sad time has come for the blog to officially draw to a close. After continual updating of the blog, it will certainly feel like a part of me is missing. It is all bad news...


Or is it?


That is the question my blog initially started out asking, is the Anthropocene a purely negative geological epoch, or could biodiversity be more resilient than I originally thought. In essence, would the 'grass be greener on the other side' for global biodiversity. The answer, as I sit here (now no longer a beginner to the blogging phenomena), remains as complex as before this blog was started. The real answer is, we just don't know. We never before have been in a state where human induced global warming has been increasing so rapidly and where emission levels have surpassed planetary boundaries.  The Earth and its ecosystems, are in unknown territory, which is what makes it such a crucial area of study. Although, there is no definite conclusion, this project has helped me develop my own opinions surrounding global biodiversity, including my pessimistic viewpoint of the 6th mass extinction, along with the optimism that there may be a technological (3D printer) fix. Everyone wants to believe in a better, brighter world and through completion of this blog, I truly believe if we are going to save the range of biodiversity the Earth has to offer, in all biomes, that conservation efforts are needed now more than ever. 

At the beginning of this blog, I set out to achieve a few things including to let the posts take me where they may and not have a strict agenda. This I have done, allowing current literary debates to guide me along the journey, however I did want to cover a range of terrestrial, freshwater and marine biodiversity. I also wanted my opinions to develop from what I read and this has most definitely been the case. I never realised that freshwaters were so threatened by anthropogenic impacts and that sea ice provided the habitat for such a variety of marine and terrestrial species. The freedom this blog has allowed,  opened by eyes to the stark reality of just how many threats humans impose. 

After enjoying this project, I would like to carry on the blog for my own personal enjoyment as it provokes my continual engagement with new developments in the ecological world. Completing the blog has confirmed my interest in ecology and I am looking forward learning about even more ecological debates in my Freshwater Ecosystems module this term. 

So I ask one final time who won the battle of Anthropocene vs Biodiversity? Currently, the anthropocene has propelled into the lead, but this doesn't mean the score board cannot change over the next few years.

Thank you for taking time to read my blog, hope it has been as enjoyable and educational as it has for me.

Until next time..... just kidding. 

No comments:

Post a Comment